Preparing for Volunteer Training
The following are resources for new volunteers and others attending our volunteer training. All participants should review the following materials to ensure a shared language, participate more fully in discussions, and become familiar with SafePlace philosophy. Please complete the review of the following materials by the first day of training*.
- Read Peggy McIntosh’s article “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.”
- Explore LGBT Definition of Terms.
- Read “Allyship: First Steps” and review the rest of the website for topics you feel you need to know more about.
- Read “Tools for Liberation” specifically focusing on Anti Racism Definitions, The Usual Statements and Qualities of an Anti-Racist Ally.
- Read “Understanding Oppression.”
For some, this is a lot of new information. It is not expected that you remember everything but we want you to be familiar with some of the things we will be talking about. At SafePlace we believe that our identities play a big role in our experiences as victims, as clients of services, how we experience the world, how we heal and why we are victimized. It is important that our volunteers and staff understand and operate under the same philosophy. Please contact us if you have any questions or find these topics personally challenging.